Loveland Chapel Records
Collection Scope and Contents
This collection documents the construction, opening, and the history of the Loveland Chapel. The collection contains general information, news articles, correspondence, planning documents, and photographs. The collection contains memos and meeting minutes on the planning and design of the Chapel. There are also many documents on the dedication ceremonies. Of particular interest is the list of donors for the Allen organ, donated by Haines W. Kent. Photographs include pictures of the interior as well as the original apartment that existed in the chapel.
Dates
- Creation: 1962-2000
Creator
- Springfield College (Creator, Organization)
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections (Collector, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Unrestricted
Conditions Governing Use
Rights status not fully evaluated.
Read our full copyright statement.
Historical Note
In 1946, Norman and Ruth Loveland established a fund for the construction of a chapel on the campus of Springfield College. The intent of the chapel was, in their words, “to help maintain the spiritual character of Springfield College.” Mr. Loveland, a businessman from Bristol, CT, was a man with deep roots at Springfield College. He was a 1924 graduate of Springfield College, a Tarbell Medallion recipient, and had served as a member of the Board of Trustees. From 1946 till their deaths, Mr. Loveland (1965) and his wife, Ruth (1968), the couple made regular contributions to the “chapel” fund. Upon Mrs. Loveland’s death, a lump sum bequest of $275,000 was made to the college. This bequest required that a chapel be built within ten years. At that time, the chapel fund exceeded $350,000. Under the leadership of President Wilbert E. Locklin, it was determined that a chapel should be built on the East Campus. This site was chosen with the intent to establish an active ongoing presence at East Campus.
A task force chaired by Rev. Kenneth Childs was gathered. The task force had representation from Community Education, Department of Recreation, College Campgrounds, Department of Biology, The Physical Plant Department and the Student Body. Among those assisting the task force was Dr. John Brainerd, a retired professor of biology and conservation. He was charged with design considerations with specific emphasis placed on designing a structure that would blend into the woodland setting and utilizing natural materials and design with a focus on energy conservation.
Alfred P. Casella, of Agawam, was chosen as the architect. Previously, the firm designed the physical education complex on campus. Built of wood and stone, the 5,000 sq. ft. structure incorporates environmental awareness in terms of energy efficiency. Ciocca Construction Corporation of Springfield was chosen as the contractor.
Groundbreaking for Loveland Chapel took place on September 15, 1980 and the chapel was completed in June of 1981. Dedication of the building was held on May 30, 1981. Of special note the dedication recognized the following features that were donated:
The Allen Organ - W. Haines Kent, Class of 1924 donated the Allen Organ to the chapel. The organ had been gifted to him upon his retirement as state executive of the Pennsylvania YMCA in 1962. His gift to the chapel was “in appreciation of the four years he spent here preparing for his Y work.”
The Gates - The gates, erected on Wilbraham Road at the entrance to the chapel grounds are actually the originally1910 Pratt Field Gates, which had been in storage for over a decade after they were finally removed from their original location.
Stained Glass Windows - Mrs. Vera Brown, sister of Mrs. Carol Loveland, donated a stained glass window in memory of Norman and Ruth Loveland. Another stained glass window, depicting the Springfield College triangle, was donated in honor of Philip W. Breux, Class of 1938, upon his retirement as “a YMCA professional from 1935-1981.”
The building itself was visualized as “an academic chapel” or non-denominational chapel. Its open floor nave could accommodate 150 people. Also incorporated in its utilitarian design was a conference room and apartment that originally was envisioned to be used by an “East Campus Coordinator.” In 1988, under the leadership of President Frank Falcone, Loveland Chapel became The Child Development Center which remains its use to this day.
Written by Sheila Thompson, 2012
Chronology
1946: Establishment of chapel fund by Norman, Class of 1924, and Carol Loveland
1970: Settlement of Loveland Estate. Chapel fund closed with balance in excess of $350,000
1980: September 15 - Groundbreaking at East Campus
1981: May 30 - Dedication of Loveland Chapel
1988: Opening of Child Development Center
Written by Sheila Thompson, 2012
Extent
.5 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
English
Metadata Rights Declarations
Arrangement
Since this is an artificially created collection there is no original order. The collection is organized as follows: general information, planning memos, meeting minutes, correspondence, dedication materials (including audio tapes), newspaper articles, and photographs of the exterior and interior of the building. Wherever possible the original order of the materials, in particular correspondence and official documentation in box 1 folders 3 & 4, was kept. Other than digitized materials, there is no apparent order within the folders.
History of the Collection
There was no formal acquisition of the materials for this collection. The collection is artificially created. Materials were received from different places at different times. The acquisition sources and dates of the materials are unknown.
Digitized Materials
Browse digitized materials from this collection. This collection is partially digitized.
Digital Materials Searches
Subject
- Springfield College (Organization)
- Loveland, Norman S. (Person)
- Kent, Haines W. (Person)
- Casella, Alfred P. (Person)
- Title
- Loveland Chapel Records
- Status
- Completed
- Author
- Jeffrey Monseau
- Date
- 2012-01
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- English
- Script of description
- Latin
Revision Statements
- 2022-07: Transferring information from the original Word document to ArchivesSpace.
Repository Details
Part of the Springfield College Archives and Special Collections Repository
Springfield College
Judd Gymnasia
263 Alden Street
Springfield Massachusetts 01109 U.S.A. US
413-748-3309
jmonseau@springfieldcollege.edu